Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Using Sources and Avoiding Plagiarism

This last chapter is about plagiarism and how to avoid it. Throughout my high school career our school took plagiarism very seriously and we had a program called turnitin.com, which would trace our paper for any worked that could be plagiarized. The best ways to avoid plagiarism would be to learn how to correctly paraphrase and summarize the information that you gather. Also by using the bibliographies form the last chapters you can avoid plagiarism and keep track of your sources.

I also learned a lot about how to use brackets and ellipsis to add words and delete words when you are quoting from a source, in order to make in fit into your sentences better. I used these a lot in high school. I was always really good at making my quotations blend but paraphrasing has always been a little bit more difficult. Paraphrasing is I way to write the authors or sources information in to your own words. Some of the things that they emphasize on is never say more than the source does, always use your own words, and never paraphrase to present your thesis topic or sentence. Another thing that it talks is about is how to summarize. This is different from paraphrasing because summarizing expresses on the main point on the source and not the entire material. After reading this chapter I think I just need to focus on always citing my sources and make sure that none of it is entirely someone else words.

No comments:

Post a Comment